As a homeowner, you have a wide range of choices for roofing material. And yet, shingle roofing is one of the most popular in the United States. Among American homeowners, asphalt shingles are the most commonly used throughout the country. In warmer climates that have relatively mild weather, shingle roofing is a great choice for more than just affordability.
Let’s take a look at what makes asphalt shingles a popular choice.
If you’re looking for professional roofing services in El Paso, contact Smith & Ramirez and learn about our services.
What are Asphalt Shingles?
While most people are familiar with asphalt shingles, they may not be aware of how they are manufactured and what material is used to make them. Asphalt shingles are composed of layers of different materials, including a base mat, waterproof asphalt, and the top layer of ceramic granules that serve as the protective barrier.
There are two different types of asphalt shingles: fiberglass and organic.
- These are the most common types of shingles. The base mat is made out of fiberglass, which is tough plastic strands woven together to make a rough surface. On top of the fiberglass mat are the asphalt coating and granules. Fiberglass shingles are easy to install and are relatively lightweight. Fiberglass is also slightly more affordable and provides excellent fire resistance.
- Organic shingles differ in the base material. Instead of fiberglass, these shingles are composed of non-synthetic material soaked in asphalt. Manufacturers cover material with an additional layer of asphalt, which adds protection. Organic shingles are durable—lasting up to 20 years. They are resistant to discoloration, weather, and algae.
What are the Benefits of Shingle Roofing?
So what makes these two types of shingles the most sought-after option in El Paso and across the country? Some of the benefits of these shingles include:
- They are available in many options.
- Not all shingles are created equal. There are many options. People can choose from organic or fiberglass to different colors, shades, and finishes. So, whether your home was built in 1959 or 2019, you can find a style of shingle that will do the job well and complement your roof aesthetically.
- They are versatile.
- Asphalt shingles are used in different roof styles. So even in non-traditional roofs, asphalt shingles will most likely work. They are also versatile stylistically, as people can have asphalt shingles mimic other roofing materials such as cedar, metal, or even tile. Technology and advancements in the manufacturing process allow manufacturers to create a wide array of style while keeping the material affordable.
- Affordable and cost-effective.
- Installing a new roof is a large task. It requires a sound investment to ensure that you get the quality and performance of the roof that you need—not to mention the durability. The material is cost-effective and does not require too much upfront cost. It also lasts a long time and has a solid return on investment. Compared to slate roofing or metal roofs, asphalt is a much more affordable choice. Not only is the material more cost-effective, but the labor in installation and maintenance services is also lower, which many homeowners see as a plus if they plan to stay in their homes for years to come.
- The newly manufactured asphalt shingles are very much eco-friendly. Some years ago, shingles would simply be thrown away into a landfill. Today’s shingles, however, are made out of recyclable materials so that they can be recycled once their lifespan is over.
- They offer excellent protection.
- El Paso does not have harsh winters, but the summer and windy season certainly offer their own set of challenges to our homes. El Paso sees a lot of heavy sun rays and so a roof that protects from harmful UV rays is essential. These shingles offer excellent protection against the elements.
- Easy to install and maintain.
- Asphalt roofs are easy to install. An entire roof installation can take just about one or two days. At the same time, if a windstorm or hail storm damages your shingles and you require repair, these asphalt shingles are relatively easy to maintain. Over the roof’s lifespan, it saves you money, as repair and maintenance services are relatively low cost and accessible.
Ready to Install a New Roof on your El Paso Home?
Whether you are having a roof repaired or doing a full-fledged roof replacement, asphalt shingles are a good choice of material. Of course, you want to make sure that you are buying good-quality shingles and paying for a professional installation that will minimize the chances of damage or leaks.
If you want to learn more about the most trusted roofing company in El Paso, call Smith & Ramirez Roofing today.